HOLLY JOLLY CHRISTMAS:
Christmas Masses: Admission by Ticket only. Dec. 24th Dec - Granagh Masses - 4.30pm & 6.00pm. Ballingarry Masses - 7pm & 8.30pm. 25th Dec - Granagh 9.30am. Ballingarry, 11.00am. Sat. 26th Dec St. Stephens Day (Vigil Mass) Ballingarry, 7pm & Sun 27th, Granagh 10.30am. Marian keeps the church information updated regularly on www.churchservices.tv/ballingarry.
"If you just want to walk fast, walk alone. But if you want to walk far, walk together." As we come towards the end of an eventful year, how life has changed and how we have had to change with it. Hopefully we have learned something and have tried to become better people.
Looking back over the year we can see how much we missed out on but weren't we so lucky every other year up to this. We took lots for granted - shopping, travelling, nights out, school, community events, holidays - we didn't realise we had so much freedom, choice and the means to enjoy all this. It has given us a little insight into how others live their daily lives and how privileged we are.
Our thoughts and thanks must go out to those who serve the public, including all in the health services, retailers, office staff, post and delivery staff and all in essential services. They all had to go out to work during the pandemic, it couldn't be done from home.
Our thanks must go to all those who serve the parish throughout the year, in the Church, school, local organisations and local businesses.
Thanks to the Observer / Vale Star newspapers for providing an outlet for community notes and keeping us in literary contact when we had no physical contact. They have been printing lots of old photos recently which are great to look back at & bring back memories. Thanks to one and all for everything you do.
Spare a thought and a prayer for those coping with illness, for those who have lost loved ones and for those who are dealing with difficulties everyday of their lives.
May Christmas always have the power to remind us of the connection between us all and to renew our wish for a more peaceful world. And this year especially, may Christmas bring you Joy.
Heading into a new year they say the six best doctors in the world - Sunlight, Rest, Exercise, Diet, Self confidence and Friends - maintain them in all stages of life and enjoy a healthy life. Nollaig Shona dhaoibh go léir.
Somebody out there had time to do this;- Presbyterian; When you rearrange the letters: BEST IN PRAYER
Astronomer;- rearrange the letters: MOON STARER. The Eyes; - rearrange the letters: THEY SEE.
The Morse Code;- rearrange the letters: HERE COME DOTS. Dormitory; - rearrange the letters: DIRTY ROOM
Slot Machines;- rearrange the letters: CASH LOST IN ME. Animosity;- rearrange the letters: IS NO AMITY
Election Results; - rearrange the letters: LIES - LET'S RECOUNT. Snooze Alarms;- rearrange the letters:
ALAS! NO MORE Z 'S. A Decimal Point; - rearrange the letters: I'M A DOT IN PLACE.
The Earthquakes;- rearrange the letters: THAT QUEER SHAKE. Eleven Plus Two;- rearrange the letters:
TWELVE PLUS ONE . Mother-in-law;- rearrange the letters: WOMAN HITLER .
I heard that the boys and girls in Granagh School got a huge surprise last weekend, Santa called around to everyone at their homes, imagine that..!!! Mrs. Claus didn't have time to call to everyone because she had to keep an eye on those Elves, in case they got the presents mixed up and eat all the goodies she had baked. What lucky children, they must have been very good all year. Not long to go now.... Happy Christmas to them all & thanks to everyone involved for making sure Santa got around safely to meet everyone & creating such a special memory.
TROCAIRE GIFT SALES:
Sincere thanks to all who contributed so generously, to the sale of Trocaire gifts on Saturday 19th. And thanks to our local shopkeepers, Tom O'Gorman & Donal O'Grady for facilitating the collection. Will have an update In January.
WHAT KIDS THINK:
When trying to teach children about the bible & the old and new testaments, it can be very surprising how they recall the details in a school test. The following answers were written by children and have not been corrected !!
1. In the first book of the bible, Guinness, God got tired of creating the world so he took the sabbath off.
2. Adam and Eve were created from an apple tree. Noah's wife was Joan of ark. Noah built the ark and the animals came in pears.
3. Lots wife was a pillar of salt during the day and a ball of fire during the night.
4. The jews were a proud people and throughout history they had trouble with unsympathetic genitals.
5. Sampson was a strongman who let himself be led astray by a jezebel like Delilah.
6. Samson slayed the philistines with the axe of the apostles.
7. Moses led the jews to the red sea where they made unleavened bread, which is bread without any ingredients.
8. The Egyptians were all drowned in the dessert. Afterwards Moses went up to the mount cyanide to get the ten commandments.
9. The first commandment was when Eve told Adam to eat the apple.
10. The seventh commandment is thou shalt not admit adultry.
11. Moses died before he ever reached canada , then Joshua led the hebrews in the battle of geritol.
12. The greatest miracle in the bible is when Joshua told his son to stand still and he obeyed him.
13. David was a hebrew king who was skilled at playing the liar. He fought the Finkelsteins, a race of people who lived in biblical times.
14. Solomon, one of Davids sons, had 300 wives and 700 porcupines.
15. When Mary heard she was mother of Jesus, she sang the magna carta.
16. When the three wise guys from the east side arrived, the found Jesus in the manager.
17. Jesus was born because Mary had an immaculate contraption.
18. St. John the blacksmith dumped water on Jesus head.
19. Jesus enunciated the golden rule, which says to do unto others before they do one to you. He also explained a man doth not live by sweat alone.
20. It was a miracle when Jesus rose from the dead and managed to get the tombstone off the entrance.
21. The people who followed the Lord were called the 12 decibels.
22. The epistles were the wives of the apostles.
23. One of the oppossums was St. Matthew who was also a taximan.
24. St. Paul cavorted to christianity, he preached holy acrimony, which is another name for marriage.
25. Christians have only one spouse, this is called monotony.
DID YOU KNOW:
21st Dec, 1933; - Fox films signs Shirley Temple aged 5, to a studio contract.
22nd Dec, 2018; - Krakatoa explosion causes Indonesian tsunami.
23rd Dec, 1947;- Bell Labs demonstrates the world's first Transistor Radio.
24th Dec, 1956; - "I Love Lucy" the Christmas show, airs.
25th Dec, 1974;- Cyclone Tracy, with winds of up to 135mph, hits Darwin on Christmas Day.
26th Dec, 1947;- A severe snowstorm buries New York under 25 inches of snow in 16 hours.
27th Dec,1932; - Radio City Music Hall opens in New York.