A very interesting photo sent in by Ger Moloney showing the two grass tennis courts in Kilmore, about 1960. Situated beside his parents's house - Bridie & Tom Moloney. The field belonged to Jer Morrissey who lived where John & Claire Kelly live now.
In an effort to record for posterity the social history of Granagh, Granagh Historic society (est. 2015) is interested in gathering information on a wide variety of the activities of the businesses, clubs and other social organisations that have been part of the fabric of our local life over the last century and more.
We are particularly engaged in trying to create a permanent public record of daily life in the parish, through the activities of the parishioners, socially and economically. With this in mind we are looking to collate information on a wide variety of topics such as;
The schools 1868-1967
Teacher’s residence 1911
Shops(9 we know of)
Churches (Granagh, Knockfierna, Shanavoha)
There were many clubs and societies associated with the parish, GAA(3 teams), Camogie, Legion of Mary, Macra, Granagh Development Association, Youth club, ICA, Soccer, Water Group, Gun Club,Coursing, Athletics, Síamse, Apostolic Society, Young at Heart, Drama and Tennis.
There is obviously a wealth of information to be gathered for these topics, and to this end we intend to hold a public meeting open to all interested parties in the parish whether you might have information to contribute or wish to learn. We will confirm this date through this website, the parish bulletin and weekly notes.
History of Granagh Creamery
Jim Houlihan has compiled a History of Creamery for posterity and he gave a talk on Thursday 7th Jan,2016 at the Granagh Community Centre. Guests invited to the event included The Abbot of Glenstal, Mark Patrick Hederman and his brother Ted. Their grandfather (photo below), Daniel Hederman, was the first Chairman of Granagh Cooperative Dairy Society.
Here is a section of the talk given by Jim Houlihan on the night:
The Community Centre Granagh hosted the first showing of, A History of Granagh Creamery, compiled and presented by, Jim and Liam Houlihan on Thursday January 9th 2016, @ 8.00PM.
The large gathering from Granagh and surrounding areas was honoured by the presence of, Dom Mark, Patrick Hederman, Abbot of Glenstal and his brother Mr. Ted Hederman.
Their grandfather Mr. Daniel Hederman who farmed at, Ballinleena was first Chairman of, Granagh Co-operative Dairy Society Ltd a position in which he gave of his time for up to thirty years.
Granagh C.D.S. was registered on December 4th 1890 making it the sixth Co-op to be registered in Ireland. It went into manafacturing in the first half of 1891. It was most interesting to learn what it was like for the people involved in dairying in Ireland during those early years. The Creamery was built on a site donated by the Bennett family, Graigacurra and Mr. John Bennett succeeded Mr. Hederman as Chairman and continued in that role for up to twenty years. Mr. Bennett, a staunch nationalist had also been a member of Limerick County Council.
Mr. Richard Chawke, a native of Ballyhahill in west Limerick, was Manager of Granagh Creamery from 1893 until his retirement in 1947. He was a very popular man and in common with Mr. Bennett and Mr. Hederman was known to be a kind and charitable man.It was news for many of those in attendance that in its day, Granagh Butter was, best in the country, winning prizes everywhere from, Limerick to Tipperary, Cork, Dublin Belfast and London. The people who guided the destinies of the Co-op saw it through many periods of challenge and change, supported by top class staff and loyal suppliers.
Of course, there would have been a certain nostalgia for some. Mr. Michael Daffy, who was Manager at the time of amalgamation with, Mitchelstown Creameries in 1972 was present.
The occasion ended with an address by Mr. James Lynch, Chairman, Dairygold Co-op. Society Ltd.
Can anybody identify the people in this picture of the local LDF? Get in contact at email@example.com.
The Schools’ Collection 1937-39
Approximately 740,000 pages (288,000 pages in the pupils’ original exercise books; 451,000 pages in bound volumes) of folklore and local tradition were compiled by pupils from 5,000 primary schools in the Irish Free State between 1937 and 1939.
This collecting scheme was initiated by the Irish Folklore Commission, under the direction of Séamus Ó Duilearga and Séan Ó Súilleabháin, Honorary Director and Registrar of the Commission respectively, and was heavily dependent on the cooperation of the Department of Education and the Irish National Teachers’ Organization. It was originally to run from 1937 to 1938 but was extended to 1939 in specific cases. For the duration of the project, more than 50,000 schoolchildren from 5,000 schools in the 26 counties of the Irish Free State were enlisted to collect folklore in their home districts. This included oral history, topographical information, folktales and legends, riddles and proverbs, games and pastimes, trades and crafts. The children recorded this material from their parents, grandparents, and neighbours.
The scheme resulted in the creation of over half a million manuscript pages, generally referred to as ‘Bailiúchán na Scol’ or ‘The Schools’ Collection’.
There are 1,128 volumes, numbered and bound, in the Collection. A title page prefaces each school, giving the name of the school, the parish, the barony, the county and the teacher. A further collection of approximately 40,000 of the children’s original copybooks are stored at the NFC.
Granagh School under principal Mr Speiran took part in this collection and the very interesting old tales from the Granagh district can be seen by following the links below.
Here are some newspaper articles about Granagh from the archives.
Presentation to Fr. Joe Cussen, Oct 1996.
Back Row L-R:
Mike Chawke, Ned Houlihan (RIP), Martin Carroll, Fr. John Duggan, Jim Noonan, Tom Sexton(RIP), Michael Daffy (RIP), Sean Cagney, Jim Chawke & Mick Houlihan.
Front Row L-R:
Cllr. Jim Houlihan, Pakie Mulqueen, Jackie Chawke (RIP), Jim Treacy, Fr. Cussen, Dan Sheehan & David O'Riordan.